Restore Form and Function to Your Smile with Dental Bridges
At Silvers Family Dental Care in Harrisburg, PA, our team uses dental bridges as an effective, cost-efficient way to treat missing or damaged teeth. While restoring your smile offers cosmetic benefits, dental bridges also prevent oral health issues like periodontitis or an infected root canal.
Missing teeth can make eating and speaking more difficult. If you have missing or damaged teeth, a dental bridge can restore the health, function, and natural appearance of your smile.
Bridging the Gap
Dental bridges literally bridge the gap between missing teeth. Comprised of one or more artificial teeth and secured by two dental crowns, this common dental treatment is safe and effective.
The artificial teeth in bridges are composed of various materials, depending on each patient’s preference. Our dentists can help you decide which material is right for your preferences, budget, and lifestyle. Whether the replacement teeth are made of silver, gold, or porcelain, different materials offer different benefits:
- Gold, silver, and metal alloys: Typically the strongest, most durable type of restoration
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal: Features a metal base for strength and stability
- All-porcelain: Blends effortlessly with a patient’s natural smile
- Zirconia: Basically as strong as metal, requires little modification of the existing tooth structure
As for the placement of dental bridges, patients should anticipate visiting our office two times over the course of this treatment.
First, our team will alter the treated teeth to accommodate the prosthetic. Teeth surrounding the gap must be modified to help the anchoring crowns fit correctly.
After teeth have been reshaped, an impression will be made. A temporary restoration will be placed to protect teeth while your personalized, permanent prosthetic is being created.
Finally, our dentists will place the custom-fitted restoration and patients can enjoy both the utility and appearance of their new, natural-looking smile.
Advantages of Dental Bridges
Dental bridges seamlessly blend the aesthetic perks of cosmetic dentistry with the function of restorative practices.
From an aesthetic perspective, dental bridges are a great option because they fill in gaps in a patient’s smile. This treatment can also help patients look years younger and improve their facial structure. While dental bridges can offer 10 to 15 years of aesthetic benefits, the restorative and preventative perks are just as important.
Missing or damaged teeth can cause health problems for patients. Replacing missing teeth with bridges maintains patients’ total dental health by providing the following advantages:
- This permanent solution increases security and comfort versus removable dentures.
- Replacing teeth remedies speech problems.
- A patient’s diet is not limited due to chewing capabilities.
- Bridges help reduce the risks of bone loss, periodontal disease, and tooth decay.
- Prosthetics inhibit healthy, remaining teeth from shifting out of position.
- This treatment helps prevent temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder
The placement of dental bridges can also be combined with other treatments like crowns, teeth whitening, or porcelain veneers to transform your smile and confidence.
Renew Your Smile with a Dental Bridge
If you are tired of being self-conscious about your appearance, or if missing teeth make speaking or chewing difficult, our compassionate dental professionals are here to help. To find out if a dental bridge could be right for you, contact us at 717-564-1681.